Sunday, January 23, 2011


Hola amigos! Hope everyone is doing well and that the New Year has treated you kindly. So far Peru has been awesome. The weather is significantly better than London. Warm and sunny is more my type of climate. Hopefully I’ll get a nice tan over the next couple months. Upon first impression, Lima reminds me of Beirut a bit with its close proximity to the ocean and the mountains. This is also characteristic of Freetown. However, we have not lost power on a regular basis or been subjected to extremely subpar hygienic conditions, thus the Beirut comparison seems more appropriate. Also, it is not anywhere near as blisteringly hot as Freetown. And hopefully we will not be in a potentially life-threatening car accident while in Peru.
As for the academics, we have gone to the Larco Museum and Pachacamac already. The Larco Museum featured an extensive collection of Moche pots. Many consisted of human faces, although my favorite was one of a crab demon with a human riding on its back. Also prominently featured at the Larco Museum was the erotic art exhibit. The potters apparently depicted various scenes which may not have been intended for virgin eyes. As for the use of these pots, I suspect maybe storage of chile peppers or other spices. This is of course pure speculation, and has no substantiated basis.
While we have not discovered any crystal skulls (don’t despair yet faithful readers!) we did visit our first archeological site today, Pachacamac. The ruins were at one time the temple of the sun god where pilgrimages were made by those wishing to consult with the oracle. As it turns out, the idol was apparently made of wood. Way to cut down someone’s hopes. I guess they must have been hollow promises. I mean, would you have gone out on a limb and taken the trek to Pachacamac just to talk to a wooden idol?
Nourishment has been no problem. In fact, I am barely able to finish most meals. Food is served in large quantities, more than a Moe can handle. I have dined on some delectable seafood, goat, and chicken. Drinks include bottled water, beer, and pisco sours, the official drink of Peru. The beer of choice in Peru is Cusquena. Julio, our TA, was able to help me get a free Cusquena glass from a restaurant to add to the collection. I decided to start building one last semester. So far the list consists of two Blue Moon glasses, a Starpramen one, and now a Cusquena glass.
Well, thank you for following the adventures of Indiana Moe. Until next time, gracias amigos!

Paz,
Moe

No comments:

Post a Comment